Frequently Asked Questions What is a credit union?
A credit union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative. Credit unions provide many of the same services that banks do, but unlike a bank, are democratically operated and are owned by those who do business with the credit union. The members of a credit union all share a common bond, such as living in an area, attending a church, or by working for an employer. By starting an account with a credit union you are entitled to a say in how your credit union will be run. Since credit unions are structured as cooperatives, they are tax-exempt. This tax savings allows credit unions to pass along savings, such as free products and services, to their members.
How much are my funds insured?
Share accounts at New Dimensions FCU are federally insured up to $250,000 by the NCUSIF (National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund). If you have more than one individual account at New Dimensions, those are generally added together when determining your coverage. However, in the cases of joint accounts and accounts in different legal ownership capacities may be insured separately. Feel free to contact us with questions or visit the NCUA website below for detailed information.
What is Shared Branching?
The Shared Branch network is an affiliation of credit unions that share over 4,400 branches nationwide. This means that as a member of New Dimensions FCU, you can access your account at other participating credit unions. For more information on how to use Shared Branching, please see our services page.
Why is there a hold on my check?
At our discretion, we reserve the right to hold the funds on or turn away any check if we have reason to doubt the collectability on that check. In most cases, we will cash your check if you have a sufficient balance to cover the check. However, in some cases we will hold the funds for your protection.
When you cash your check at any financial institution, you are taking accountability for that check. If the check comes back bad, then it is now your responsibility to repay the institution. When we hold a check, we are simply looking out for your best interests.
I checked my balance before I made a purchase, how did I overdraw?
We see members run into this problem quite a bit. When you check your balance online or at an ATM, it shows you the balance you have available at that moment. If you have written checks off of your accounts or made some purchases with your debit card that haven't yet processed, then your balance shown could be much different than what you actually have with those purchases taken into account. The best way to avoid running into overdrafts in this case is to keep a running check register at all times. We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with our Funds Availability policy, which has been provided below.
Funds Availability Notice
If you've run into overdrafts several times, you may be interested in an Overdraft Line of Credit. To learn more about this service, please contact a loan officer or download the application below.
To make sure that you are covered in the event of an overdraft, elect to receive this service with this form below and return it to your branch. You may also "opt in" to this service by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overdraft Privilege Opt In Form
How do I set up mobile banking?
Use of the mobile app requires a smartphone with data capability. To set up the app, please follow these instructions*:
1) Sign up for Online Anytime if you have not already. Use of the mobile app requires that you have an Online Anytime username and password. Make sure that your email address on file with the credit union is the one that you still use to receive email messages.
2) Download the app. If you have an iPhone or Android device, go to your app store and search for “NDFCU” or “New Dimensions”. If you have a Blackberry phone, please type this URL into your phone’s browser: https://www.mfmnow.com/NewDimensionsFCU. For all other devices, visit www.newdimensionsfcu.com on your phone and use the browser-based banking service.
3) Sign up for the mobile app service. The system will send a one-time PIN to the email address we have on file here at the credit union. You will need this PIN to activate the app.
4) Retrieve the PIN from your email account. Log in to the app using the same username and password that you use for Online Anytime. Add the 4-digit PIN to your password. With future logins, you will not be required to add the PIN to your password.
5) You should now be all set! Use the app to check your balances, make transfers, and locate Shared Branch locations. If you need further assistance, please contact the credit union and we will be happy to assist you.
For those without smartphones, we also offer a text-based (SMS) service. This service requires Online Anytime as well. Log into m.newdimensionsfcu.com with your Online Anytime credentials and follow the instructions for SMS banking under Account Settings. As always, contact us immediately if you require any assistance.
*Mobile banking is free for member use. Standard message and/or data rates from your carrier still apply.