In 1956, a group of parishioners led by a parish priest of the Notre Dame Church
in Waterville, Maine, explored the possibility of organizing a credit union. Within
months of their first meeting, they had applied for and were approved for a parish
charter by the Bureau of Federal Credit Unions. The charter was comprised
of “members of the parish of Notre Dame Church in Waterville, Maine.”
The Notre Dame Credit Union was launched on August 27, 1956, operating
out of a corridor at the Notre Dame School on Water Street from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00
p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
The credit union’s first employee, Earl Rancourt, (who later became President/CEO)
renovated his basement to house the operations from 1963 to 1973. In 1973,
as membership grew, the Notre Dame Credit Union purchased and renovated a former
homestead at 5 Kimball Street in Waterville. A ground breaking ceremony for the
current facility at 61 Grove Street was held in October of 1986.
On July 1, 1992, Notre Dame Credit Union welcomed Calvary Temple’s Berean Federal
Credit Union members as a result of a merger. In 2002, the Notre Dame Credit Union’s
charter was expanded to serve Kennebec and Somerset Counties. As a result of the
charter expansion and to better reflect the community that it serves, the Board
of Directors voted to change the credit union’s name in January of 2006 to New Dimensions
Federal Credit Union. On March 21, 2011 we opened our first branch office at 72
Cony Street, Augusta, Maine.
Since its meager beginnings in a school corridor, the credit union has grown to
8,000 members, added products and services to meet members’ current needs,
and enhanced technology to provide fast, reliable service with a click of a mouse.